This is a multi-functional project management tool in Houdini, mainly used to manage and check files, relink missing files with one click, pack project with one click, check unused files and missing files in project and the corresponding directories, and check if the paths of the files are absolute paths and switch between those two path modes.
- System Requirements: Windows, Linux, and Mac.
- Commercial Edition: 7.0, 17.5, 18.0, and 18.5.
- Indie Edition: 7.0, 17.5, 18.0, and 18.5.
- Learning Edition: 7.0, 17.5, 18.0, and 18.5.
File Manager lists the nodes that load files and the information of the nodes, which helps users quickly get an overview of the files in the project.
1. Search Range: Selected Nodes and Selected Network.
Selected Nodes: List the files contained in the selected nodes. Without selected nodes, a window will pop up and ask the user whether to list all files.
Selected Newworks: List the files contained in the selected network—obj, mat, etc.
2. The information to be displayed: Node Type, Node Path, File Name, File Path, Path State (Relative path or absolute path), and Sequence File (The frame range will be displayed if it’s a sequence, or ‘No’.)
3. Missing files will be displayed in red.
4. Refresh List, Clear List, Export File List, etc.Tip: Hold LMB at the bottom of the panel (as shown below) to check file count, missing file count, digital asset count, and UDIM set count, etc.
5. Click right-click menu of the nodes to delete files, nodes and parameters, open folder in File Explorer, convert to relative path or absolute path.
2.1. Multi-project Checking
a. Click the Refresh button to refresh the file list; Click the Generate Data button to export data into “MultiprojectCheck.json” file.
b.Click the Import Data button to list the used files of each project.
2.2. Recover Missing Files
1.Click the Refresh button at the bottom right to list the missing files; Click the Recover Missing Footages button to recover missing files.
2.There are two modes for recovering missing files.
External Data: Replace the paths of the missing files in the project with the paths of the external files in the project directory accordingly.
Internal Data: Move the external files to the files’ path in the project accordingly.
3.Click the Target Path button to select the search path.
2.3.Internal Files VS External Files
1.The folders existing in the project directory are listed in the left panel. Click the Refresh button to refresh the folder list. Check the folders to be compared.
2.Click the Refresh button to get the results of comparison; Delete missing files and unused files by clicking the other buttons.
3.The file information is displayed in the tree.External VS Internal:
Comparing the files in the project package with the files in the current project to detect the unused files in the project package.Internal vs External:
Comparing the files in the current project with the files in the project package to detect the missing files in the current project.
2.4. Filter nodes based on nodes’ color.
Filter the nodes in the project based on nodes’ color and display the results in the list. Save the color as a preset for future use.
A.‘Pack Project’ lies in the Options menu.
B.The window for packing project will pop up.
1.Target Path: The path of the project directory to be packed.
2.The folders in the target path will be listed. Check the items to be collected as needed.
3.Click Pack Project to start packing.
4.Click Calculate File Size to update the size. Display File SIze in Real Time is checked by default.
3.2. Open Project Folder
‘Open Project Folder’ lies in the Options menu, click it to open the folder containing the current project.
1.Put the folder ‘scripts’ in the plugin package to one of the locations below.
- Linux: ~/houdiniX.X/scripts
- Mac: ~/Library/Preferences/houdini/XX/scripts
- Windows: C:\Users\USERNAME\Document\houdiniX.X\scripts
2.Create a New Tool on the shelf, copy the text in ProjectManager_2.0v.py and paste into the Script panel.
3.Select Python as Script Language.
4.Click “Apply” and “Accept” to finish installation.
- Space is not permitted in the file path, or the project will fail to be packed.
- For the cache files, only the first and the last frame files will be packed.